Thursday, June 4, 2009

Top 5 Tunez of The Week

This week I'm really missing being able to do new episodes of The Little Wizard Hour, my show on West Add Radio that I did from 2005-8. (Archives are still up here - If you want to know how drunk I got on Friday nights and who I dated/dumped/got dumped by during these years, this is a great way to find out). Apparently West Add's founder Daniel is coming back from Shanghai this week, and a glimmer of hope resides in me that he'll start the station back up and I could do my show again! That would rule, no? Until then, or until I can find another station willing to let me blabber incessantly about nothing between the sick fucking jams I'm busting (ANY IDEAS? PLEASE GIVE ME A SHOW! I HAVE GOOD TASTE I PROMISE), I'm just gonna post my fave songs of the week on this here blog. Every week.

Seriously though...someone give me a show! I have all these tunes that are just sitting around getting sad that they're not being shared with you guys.

Anyway, my top 5 songs this week:

1. Human League - Love Action

Yeah yeah, Human League were pretty fucking cheesy, and "Don't You Want Me" is pretty much the anthem of the Marina crowd (or whatever your city's equivalent of the Marina is...wherever people wear a lot of Ed Hardy), but have you ever listened to "Dare" in its entirety? It's so good! Love Action and The Sound of the Crowd are definitely the best songs on this record, but there really isn't a bad track to be found.



2. Banbarra - Shack Up

HOLY SHIT this song is amazing. I only knew the A Certain Ratio version of this song (which is also rad but can't hold a candle to this one), but thanks to new fave blog Musicophilia, I learned that it's actually a cover of this MONSTER SLICE OF FUNK. (ew i hate that word, in any context) Also may I point out that the lyrics are kinda genius?

"We can talk about the wedding ceremony/And I know it's so so phony"



3. Beach House - ??? (Uten Tittel (Lydverket Spanderer)

I have no idea what the above foreign stuff means, and I don't even know what song this is, but this live version of um whatever it is performed acoustic in a weird dark bunker is so so amazing.



4. REM - Baby I

I love, love love love LOVE early REM. Chronic Town is up there with MBV's You Made Me Realise as one of my fave ep's of all time. I had actually never heard this song until some dude I was hanging out with played it for me. Does anyone know if other recordings of this song exist? A little help?



5. The Oh Sees - Ruby Go Home

The new Oh Sees record, Help, is easily the best album of this year so far. Also, the cover art rules. I totally miss seeing Coachwhips play because they were a lot more ferocious and scary, but the Oh Sees are still totally the best live band in SF right now.




SAD UPDATE: Just got a message from Daniel saying that he's only visiting for two weeks - NOOOOOOOOOuh. Daniel, if you're reading this you need to move back! I miss you, you fucking douchebag sleazeball mantitty.

Ok so then um who wants to give me a show?!?!